We would like to start out with the fact that BRFFC stands by our promise and does everything possible to demonstrate the transparency of our merchandise and our brand. There have been several retailers (specifically high end as well as foreign vendors) that have been called out for tagging products as faux fur but in reality the items have been made with a “mix” of faux and genuine fur which clearly disqualifies it from being being labeled as faux, vegan or ethical fur.
In this post we will go into detail with steps that you can take to verify if your faux fur is really what the tag reads.
Keep scrolling to learn more.
1. Read the Label. If there is question about the actual material of your fur, start with reading the label. More times than none your garment or accessory will possess a materials/care tag. Please note that in some cases when the materials are “mixed” with fur, genuine fur is not always listed as a material component. This is where the next steps come into play.
2. Look for the brand name. If you know that some brands are associated with fur or faux fur, this might be helpful in deciding which type of fur you are dealing with. As stated before, you can assure that with BRFFC outerwear and accessories you’re getting 100% ethical, vegan fur.
3. Check the Price. Real fur usually costs a great deal more than faux fur. Hence the association of fur with very rich people! However, smaller bits of fur and fur trims can be quite cheap, so don’t let the relatively low price of a garment fool you.
4. Feel the fur. Not all pieces of fur are conveniently labeled or priced. Another method for testing the item is by simply feeling, however good faux fur can feel like it is real. Some indicators are:
- Genuine Fur: Feels very soft to the touch, falls in a smooth and sleek line, passes through your fingers as if you’re petting a cat.
- Faux Fur: Feels coarse and rough to touch, feels synthetic; can be sticky to touch in humid weather, and depending on the style may have the same feel as a stuffed toy animal. It might stick to your hands if it’s made out of a plastic like material (this only works if your hands are damp).
5. Try the burn test. This requires the loss of few pieces of fur or faux fur. Pull out 2 – 3 strands. On a flame-proof item (such as a ceramic plate), hold a match to the strands. If it is real fur, it will singe and there will be an odor similar to that of burnt hair. If it is faux fur, it will smell like melted plastic, melt like plastic, and curl into hard plastic-like balls.
6. Stick a pin into the item (through the fur and its lining). If it goes through easily, this suggests it is faux fur because the pin is sliding through a synthetic base. If it is hard to push through, or resists completely, it is likely to be real fur, as you’re trying to push through the leather lining to which the fur remains attached.
7. Check the backing. If you’re able to see the backing of the item, or can make a small incision to check by feel or sight, look for leather to indicate real fur or stretch weave/fabric backing for faux fur. You may also be able to see the backing if you part the fur and separate the hairs.
If there is still question as to whether your fur piece is real or faux, please don’t hesitate to take it into a furrier. This way you have someone with an expert eye who is able to give a quick and definite answer.
Have you ever purchased a faux item under the impression that it was faux/genuine and it turned out to be otherwise? Let’s talk about it!
We all have drawn a blank at one point or another when it has come to gifting the special guy in our life. This guide will help you to steer away from the expected, pj’s, slippers, cologne and/or sports themed gifts. Blow his mind with a little bit of luxury…this line up definitely has some eye catching pieces that are sure to be perfect for the hubby, dad, brother or even your grandfather! Keep scrolling to see some of our fabulous suggestions.
Today’s post will be about the fashionista “Cookie” Lyons of the hit show Empire, played by the beautiful Taraji P. Henson. Even if you don’t watch the show, if you are at all into fashion you have at least heard or read about the impeccable fashion sense of the matriarch of the show. Now don’t get me wrong, I would gladly take one of each of just about every item she has worn clothing and shoe wise BUT I would definitely swap out those genuine furs for an even more fabulous faux fur. I thought that it would be a great idea to provide details on some great alternatives comparable to what has been worn on the show.
In my humble opinion I feel that the only difference between faux and genuine fur is the inhumane process of creating genuine fur pieces and the price tag! There are faux furs that are seriously just as luxurious and created with the same quality as genuine fur but with A WHOLE LOT LESS cruelty to animals…and who doesn’t like to save a few coins?
Any who, keep scrolling to see some faux fabulousness all while channeling thee mother of divas and fashionistas “Cookie” Lyons.
3 days until our biggest sale ever! You don’t want to miss this. Items will be marked down up to 30% off!